STOCK EXCHANGES and INDICES: KEY FACTS
The Financial Market is one of important part of financial system of the country and stock exchange is a kind of foundation material of any financial market. In India, there are two main stock exchanges that are as follows:
Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE)
- BSE is established in 1875 and oldest in Asia. BSE situated at Dalal Street, Mumbai.
- Companies Listed: More than 5500 companies listed which making BSE World No 1 in terms of listed companies.
- Market Capitalization: USD 1.64 Trillion as Sep 2015.
- Ranking: Fifth largest in the world as per World Federation of Exchanges (WFE)
- S&P BSE SENSEX launched in 1986.
National Stock Exchange (NSE)
- NSE promoted by leading Financial Institutions at the behest of the Government of India and NSE incorporated in November 1992 as a tax-paying company unlike other stock exchanges in the country.
- NSE is India’s leading stock exchange and covers various towns and cities across the India.
- NIFTY 50 launched in 1996.
- NSE Global Ranking for Some parameters; Single Stock Futures – 3rd; Stock Index Options – 1st; Stock Index Futures – 6th. Source: World Federation of Exchange or WFE (Rankings done for the period Jan-Dec 2013). Ranking is based on no. of contracts traded.
Major Stock Exchanges of the World
|USA||New York (NYSE)||DOW Jones, NASDAQ, S&P 500|
|CHINA||Shanghai||SSE Composite (SHCOMP)|
|JAPAN||Tokyo (TOPIX)||NIKKEI 225|
|HONG KONG||Hang Seng|
Other world’s important indices are BBC Global 30 or S&P Global100, which includes major companies of the world like Apple, Wallmart or Siemens etc.
Significant Stock Exchanges
Some other important facts about history of Stock exchanges in the world are as follows:
|Amsterdam Stock Exchange||Netherland||Oldest in world (1602) by Dutch East India Company||In 2000, Merged with Brussels and Paris Stock Exchange to form EURONEXT|
|Bombay Stock Exchange||India||Oldest in Asia (1875)||Fastest in World in 1875|
|New York Stock Exchange||USA||World Largest by Market Capitalization|